Friday, February 27, 2009

Teacher Panel

On Monday evening, we had the privilege of hearing a group of Luther graduates discuss their experiences teaching thus far. I thought it was really interesting to hear all of their unique stories. From an elementary teacher, to a special education teacher, to a physical education teacher, they all have had various experiences in the real world thus far. Despite the fact that they all teach in different areas, I thought it was interesting to hear that they were all facing similar issues. They all brought up the issue of technology and how the students are so dependent on it, as well as the constant use of a cell phone by the students. As time goes on, I’m sure that this issue with technology will continue to occur. Aside from the issues that they are facing, one part of the discussion that really stuck out in my mind was the experience one woman had with student teaching. She was able to go and do part of her student teaching in Brussels. I’m sure that was an unbelievable experience and would like to explore something like that for myself when the time comes. All in all, I felt as though I learned a lot about all of these teachers and am eager to begin teaching in a few years.
Overall, I really enjoyed hearing the experiences of all of the teachers; however, I would eventually like to hear from teachers who are in a more diverse environment. These were all white teachers who are primarily teaching white students in small schools in northeast Iowa. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I would like to hear about different experiences teachers are having in other parts of the country or the world. I hope that throughout my experience at Luther I will be prepared to not only deal with the white population in my classroom, but with the diverse population as well.


More information on the Luther Education Department can be found at:
http://education.luther.edu/

No comments:

Post a Comment